Friday, May 10, 2019
Beginning Monday, it is anticipated, weather and other factors permitting, that MassDOT will mobilize crews to expand the current work zone for the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project. The expansion will mean that by the time of the morning commute on Tuesday the following conditions will be in effect. In the northbound direction, the lane reduction implemented on April 1st will be extended beyond the Tobin Bridge and into the Chelsea Curves. In the southbound direction one lane will be closed between County Road in Chelsea and immediately to the north of the Everett Street on-ramp from Chelsea. Mobilization will begin at 10PM on the night of the 13th.
At this time, all ramps to and from Chelsea will remain open to traffic.
Combined, the Tobin Bridge and Chelsea Curves structures carry more than 63,000 drivers on Route 1 through Chelsea and over the Mystic River into Boston. Though they are safe to drive on, both are in critical need of repair. MassDOT is carrying out work along both sections of Route 1 at the same time so that highway impacts can be completed by the end of 2020, and without the need for weight restrictions and postings.
Completion of this necessary project will ensure that the elevated section of Route 1 can continue to carry passenger and freight traffic safely and efficiently and eliminate 15% of the structurally deficient bridge deck in Massachusetts, but construction of this nature has inevitable traffic impacts. MassDOT encourages you to leave more time for your trip, exercise caution while traversing the work zone, and if possible, divert to an alternate route or mode of travel in and out of downtown Boston.
For more information on traffic conditions, travelers are encouraged to:
• Visit www.mbta.com/tobinbridge for North Shore transit options
• Dial 511 before heading out onto the roadways and select a route to hear real-time conditions.
• Visit www.mass511.com, a website which provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information, access to traffic cameras, and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
• Check parking availability at the T’s 8 largest garages, including Wonderland on the Blue Line @MBTA_Parking and Lynn on the Newburyport/Rockport Line @MBTA.
• Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.