Today, we commemorate the bravery and selflessness of courageous Americans who received our country's most distinguished recognition for valor in combat, the Medal of Honor. Up to this point, 3,515 individuals have been honored with this prestigious award. Among members of the U.S. armed forces, the Medal of Honor stands as the ultimate and most esteemed military decoration bestowed.
Saturday, March 25, 2023
Friday, March 24, 2023
Essex County Farm Bureau Legislative Breakfast
I enjoyed the opportunity to be with so many friends at the Massachusetts Farm Bureau Federation, Inc yesterday morning at Coolidge Hall on the Topsfield Fairgrounds. With Senator Joan B. Lovely, Representative Sally Kerans, Representative Jerry Parisella, Representative Tom Walsh, and Representative Kristin Kassner.
Tuesday, March 21, 2023
County Street Bridge Ipswich
This morning I was joined by Mass Highway staff, Town of Ipswich MA's Department of Public Works staff, and Ipswich officials to conduct a site review of the County Street Bridge. The bridge was identified with structural deficiencies that require it to be closed to southbound traffic. A portion of County Street between Elm Street and the northern end of the County Street Bridge has become a one-way for vehicles heading north.
Monday, March 20, 2023
20th Anniversary Banquet for Operation Troop Support
Every ticket was sold and all the folks who came to stand with Operation Troop Support had a fantastic evening at the Crystal Ballroom at Teresa's Prime Steakhouse in North Reading, Massachusetts. Operation Troop Support, now in its 20th year, is a from Boston’s North Shore that serves our deployed men and women in uniform from across the country. As a non-profit organization, they focus on helping deployed troops and their loved ones. They have shipped more than 1 million packages to troop hospitals around the world.
Friday, March 17, 2023
The League of Women Voters of Hamilton-Wenham 5th Annual Civics Bee
Pride and prizes were at stake last night at the Miles River Middle School in Hamilton, Massachusetts for the 5th annual League of Women Voters of Hamilton-Wenham, MA Civics Bee trivia competition that highlights civics. I have thoroughly enjoyed every round. Last night, I was joined at the judge's table by Representative Jerry Parisella, Kristin Kassner State Representative 2nd Essex District, and Sally Kerans for State Representative.
League of Women Voters of the US
Thursday, March 16, 2023
The Massachusetts State Police Academy provides recruit candidates with advanced training throughout the process of becoming a State Trooper.
Requirements To be considered for appointment, according to M.G.L. Chapter 22C, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old and no older than 34 years old on the last day of the application filing date
- Possess a high school diploma or a General Educational Development (GED) certificate upon appointment to the Massachusetts State Police Academy
- Not have been convicted of a felony or any offense punishable under M.G.L. Chapter 94C (drug law violations) or have been convicted of a misdemeanor and confined to any jail or house of correction as punishment
- Satisfy all statutory requirements including but not limited to passing a physical fitness test and medical examination (including a psychological component)
- Not smoke any tobacco product
- Demonstrate good moral character, sound work ethic, and have decision making consistent with the Oath of Office
- Be qualified and deemed suitable by the Colonel or Superintendent to possess a valid Massachusetts Firearms License upon appointment to the Massachusetts State Police Academy
- Satisfy the Department's physical fitness standards for initial appointments, as promulgated and amended
- Satisfy the Department's medical and psychological standards for initial appointment, as promulgated and amended
- Be a United States Citizen upon appointment to the Massachusetts State Police Academy
- Possess a valid Massachusetts Driver's License upon appointment to the Massachusetts State Police Academy
- Be a Massachusetts resident upon appointment to the Massachusetts State Police Academy
- Meet all other eligibility and entrance requirements established by statute, rule, regulation, policy, procedure, directive, and/or order of the Massachusetts Department of State Police.
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Scenes From the Nor’easter on Plum Island
When heavy weather hits I head to Plum Island to check on folks and the conditions. Yesterday, we faced a windy rain and snowstorm - there were good people on the island looking out for one another despite the hazard. I was interviewed by several news reporters out tracking the storm. With Ron Barrett, President of the Plum Island Taxpayers & Associates, @Mark Wright, Reservation Terrace resident and at-Large City Councilor, and Kristin Reardon McDonald from my Senate office.
Tuesday, March 14, 2023
Plum Island Taxpayers And Associates - Open To Residents In Need
PITA Hall at 8 Plum Island Turnpike in Newbury is open today to residents in need, food, water, warmth, and power are available. Since 1946, PITA, a non-profit organization of Plum Island taxpayers has organized island events, tracked important issues for island residents, and reported on issues that affect island taxpayers.
Track Plum Island Mark and Lela Wright's live Webcam: https://www.newburyport.com/look-plum-island-point-live-cam/
The National Weather Service Boston: Special Weather Statement
* WHEN...From 10 AM this morning to 8 AM EDT Wednesday.
* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult, particularly during the afternoon commute with total snow accumulations of 3 to 8 inches. Winds gusting as high as 65 mph.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Strong wind gusts coupled with wet snow may result in power outages.
Friday, March 10, 2023
Circuit Breaker Tax Relief
If you are aged 65 or older you may qualify for the state's Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Relief Credit up to the $1,200 maximum credit amount for the tax year 2022. And, if you would have qualified in the two previous years and did not file then you may file for a credit refund for those years too.
2022 - $1,200
2021 - $1,170
2020 - $1,150
Determine your eligibility and if you meet the criteria you may receive a refund of up to 3 years' worth - $3,520.
Thursday, March 9, 2023
Pentucket Regional School District Operating Budget Presentation
Last evening, I attended the Pentucket Regional High School budget presentation for the upcoming fiscal year. Superintendent of Schools Dr. Justin Bartholomew stepped those in attendance through the many layers of the regional school district's budgeting needs and constraints. The finance committee and local officials from Groveland, Merrimac, and West Newbury participated. More information sessions to come. Their budget portal can be found here: https://pentucketbudget.com/