Levis, 34, was a vibrant, Harvard University editor who walked to the emergency room of CHA Somerville Hospital before dawn one September morning but was unable to get inside. Her attack intensified, and she collapsed before help could arrive. Numerous safety failures at the hospital, including inadequate ER signage, lighting, and an abandoned hospital security desk, all played a role in her tragic death.
“Laura Levis' death was preventable, and this bill takes common sense steps to protect others in similar situations,” said Senate President Karen Spilka (D – Ashland). “Peter DeMarco’s efforts to share his wife’s story speak to his remarkable resolve and commitment to helping others. I am grateful to him, as well as Senators Pat Jehlen, Michael Rodrigues, and Jo Comerford for proactively leading the way to make sure that Laura's story is not repeated.”
“This is a commonsense bill that will save lives,” said Senator Michael J. Rodrigues (D-Westport), Chair of the Senate Committee on Ways and Means. “Access to emergency care starts with making sure emergency rooms are clearly identifiable and reachable for patients in crisis. I applaud Senator Jehlen for her hard work on this important bill and my colleagues in the Committee for advancing it to the Senate for consideration.”
“A well-placed sign with clearly understandable directions can not only prevent navigating a hospital campus from being a burden, it can save a life when time counts in an emergency,” said Senate Minority Leader Bruce Tarr (R - Gloucester). “This bill will ensure that some simple and powerful tools are always at work when we need them to get access to care.”
Laura's story was chronicled in the Boston Globe story “Losing Laura,” written by her husband, Peter DeMarco, who has worked with Jehlen and Barber's offices on passing the bill.
“We assume that hospitals have proper signage and lighting and security, but Laura's death proves that isn't always true. The hospital where Laura went didn't even have something as simple as an illuminated Emergency sign above the right door for her to have used,” DeMarco said. “If Laura's Law had existed that sign would have existed. She would have walked through the door, and she'd be alive today.”
Under Laura's Law, the Department of Public Health would be required to create state standards for all hospital in Massachusetts to ensure safe, timely and accessible access to emergency departments.
According to DeMarco's Globe story, Laura chose a locked door to try to access the emergency room because the correct door was not properly marked. Though Laura was on surveillance video, the hospital security desk was left unattended all night, so no one saw her. When a nurse from the emergency department eventually looked out the door for Laura, she did not see her, as the spot where Laura collapsed was in near darkness.
“Laura lost every coin flip that morning. But If you're having an asthma attack, or a heart attack, or you are about to die from a drug overdose, a single impediment to getting inside an emergency room as quickly as possible can mean the difference between life or death,” DeMarco said. “I hope so much that through Laura's death, someone else's life will be saved. It's why this bill needs to pass.”
Laura's Law would not go into effect until after the governor's Covid-19 state of emergency has been lifted.
The bill now moves to the House of Representatives for consideration.