Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Insurance Information Relative to Gas Explosion in the Merrimack Valley

My office has received the following information from the Massachusetts Division of Insurance:

Damage resulting from explosions or fires caused by a gas leak would generally be covered under standard homeowner’s or renter’s policies, but consumers should contact their insurance company or agent to discuss their particular circumstances.  The Division of Insurance is also available to assist consumers.  Impacted homeowners and renters can call the Division’s Consumer Hotline at (617) 521-7794 or (877) 563-4467 (Toll Free) with any questions.


Tips for Impacted Consumers


The Division advises consumers to review their insurance policies and know their responsibilities in the event they need to file an insurance claim.  Consumers should do the following:

  • Report claims to your insurance company as soon as possible.  Independent insurance agents should be notified of any claims as well.
  • Protect any damaged property to the extent you can to prevent further damage and salvage what you can.
  • Note and photograph all damage and losses.  Back-up your claim with written estimates.  This will assist in settling claims.
  • If temporary housing is necessary, check your policy for Loss of Use coverage.  Your policy may cover such expenses up to a stated amount.
  • More information, including frequently asked questions following a disaster, is available on the DOI website:  

The Division of Insurance has been providing on-site assistance to the residents in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover to facilitate their filing of claims with their insurance companies and answer any questions they may have.   For the foreseeable future, the Division will continue to participate in these community assistance efforts and is working with local officials to schedule sessions over the next several weeks.