Friday, November 1, 2019
Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project Update From Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Construction Look-Ahead: November 3, 2019 – November 16, 2019
• Route 1 Northbound: Approaching the Tobin Bridge from Boston, the workzone begins in the left lane and continues in the center lane. Drivers can travel on either side of the center lane workzones. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m. – 10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m. – 5 a.m.).
• Route 1 Southbound: Approaching the Chelsea Curves from the North Shore, the workzone begins in the left lane before the Carter Street off-ramp and continues in the center lane. Drivers can travel on either side of the center lane workzone at the Carter Street off-ramp using the left or right travel lanes. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m.–5 a.m.).
• Fourth Street Off-ramp: The Fourth Street off-ramp will remain closed for 1-2 months. Northbound traffic headed to Chelsea must be in the right lane when crossing the bridge to access the Beacon Street off-ramp. After Beacon Street, the next opportunity to exit Route 1 Northbound will be at Webster Avenue.
• Carter Street: Travel lanes passing under Route 1 will be diverted to avoid the active workzone on the eastbound side. Traffic will remain two-way and police details will be used to guide travelers.
• Upcoming Temporary Closures: For one or two nights during this construction period, complete closures of all lanes of traffic will be required for brief periods of time during overnight, off-peak hours for repairs at several locations on the Tobin Bridge. Overnight closures are weather-dependent and MassDOT will provide additional information and notice once the dates have been determined.
• Most work will occur in during daytime working hours (6 a.m.–2 p.m.) on weekdays. Some work will take place during afternoon (2 p.m.–7 p.m) and overnight hours (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) and on Saturdays (7 a.m.–7 p.m).
• No work will occur on Monday, November 11 in observance of the Veterans Day holiday.