Thursday, July 9, 2015
Time Capsule Re-Depositing Ceremony
On July 4th 1795, Paul Revere as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts, assisted Governor Samuel Adams in placing the original time capsule in the State House cornerstone. The original contents consisted of George Washington medals and coins dating back to the 1600s. In 1855 the time capsule resurfaced during construction. The original items were placed in an improved case along with newspapers and coins from the 1800’s. During construction on the State House in late 2014 it was re-discovered, and its excavation was carefully overseen by the Museum of Fine Arts.
Two hundred-twenty years after it’s original placement, on June 17th, 2015 Governor Charlie Baker and Grand Master Harvey J. Waugh placed the new time capsule in the State House cornerstone. The original relics as well as coins printed in 2015 were put in an air-tight stainless steel box. The placement ceremony was preceded by the marching of twelve hundred- freemasons starting at the Grand Lodge of Masons on Tremont St, and ending at the front of the State House. A silver plaque was made commemorating the ceremony, engraved with the names of Baker and Waugh as well as other top officials. Wine, Corn, and Oil were poured atop the cornerstone symbolizing nourishment, refreshment, and joy, as Waugh and other Grand Masonic Lodge Officers performed a traditional ceremony before the capsule was laid. History was made this day as the corner-stone was set for the third and perhaps final time.