Friday, January 18, 2013
Yesterday I was interviewed by Fox 25 News Reporter Sharman Sacchetti regarding legislation I am filing that would offer major reforms to the Sex Offender Registry Board (SORB). Some details of the bill include:
• the requirement and authorization for law enforcement agencies and prosecutors to communicate with the SORB in a timely fashion about the commitment of subsequent offenses by a registered sex offender;
• the legal authority of the SORB to re-classify sex offenders based on new information, which was taken away by the Massachusetts Court of Appeals on July 16, 2012 in its ruling in the case of John Doe 16748 v. Sex Offender Registry Board (Docket Number 11-P-308);
• the ability of the SORB to expedite the re-classification process of a sexual offender upon the recommendation of law enforcement and prosecutors;
• the requirement for the timely re-classification of sex offenders who have committed subsequent offenses; and
• the making of Level 1 sex offenders’ information available to the public. To view Sharman’s report please play the posted video below.
Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston